We are pleased to advise that the Dental Council has published its 2016/17 Annual Report. The report includes the audited financial statements to 31 March 2017 and information on all the Council’s operations, including registration and APC numbers, competence and conduct cases, and examinations and accreditation.
The report also includes a comprehensive update on how we have progressed on our five strategic priorities—some of the highlights are listed below.
In 2016/17, the Council:
- Updated and finalised the sedation practice standard, reviewed the professional boundaries practice standard, and reviewed and updated the Council’s approach to advanced and new areas of practice.
- Conducted four consultations, inviting participation from practitioners and other interested stakeholders including the Ministry of Health and educational institutions.
- Directly talked with hundreds of practitioners through proactively seeking out opportunities to meet face-to-face.
- Made excellent progress on our review of how we recertify practitioners. This included undertaking and publishing literature review of New Zealand and international literature focused on recertification and hosting a symposium for policy makers and other parties with roles in health regulation and advocacy for oral health professionals.
- Completed the scoping and high level development of a new integrated IT system for all our IT systems and workflow practices.
- Reviewed and updated our business continuity plan and completed a comprehensive review of our health and safety procedures and documentation.