What the New Zealand Dental Technology Examination (NZDTechREX) covers
Applicants for registration as dental technician must meet the dental technology competencies in order to be registered. You must be able to satisfy these competencies, a list of which can be found in the scope of practice competencies for dental technicians.
Structure of the examination
The NZDTechREX is a week-long examination testing both scientific knowledge and practical skills. Once an application has been scheduled, you will be informed of the specific content which will be covered and any equipment and materials that you may need bring with you for the purpose of the practical assessments.
Preparing for the examination
Once you have been confirmed as sitting the examination, you will be given a list of resources and materials to help you prepare for the examination.
Tips for preparing for the examination
To feel prepared for the examination, it is recommended that you:
- try to rest before the examination
- dress comfortably
- allow time for travel
- locate the venue for each component of the examination the day before the examination
- bring a watch
- practise your English.
If you are uncertain about any instruction or question from the examiners, ask for clarification.
- If you arrive more than 45 minutes after the examination starts, you will not be permitted to take the examination
- You may not take any book, written or printed matter, electronic devices capable of storing or processing data, telephones, blank paper, or information in any form
- You must not communicate with anyone about the examination questions
- You must not copy from another candidate's answers
- You must not communicate directly with the examiners
- If your writing is not legible, your answers cannot be assessed
- If you break any examination rule, your paper will not be marked.
Clear, detailed instructions about seating, timing, labelling of papers will be given at the time of the examination which you must follow accurately.
Information about dates, place, and results
When the examination is held
The examination is held on a needs basis. Once interest for the examination has been received, the examination timetable will be updated for the examination date.
Your assessment of eligibility application form must reach us by the closing date listed on the examinations timetable.
Where you can take the examination
The specific venue will be confirmed to you for each individual examination.
You will need to make all your own visa and travel arrangements. If you can’t sit the examination because you can’t arrange things like visas or travel, we’ll treat you as having withdrawn, and you will have to pay withdrawal fees.
You need to provide proof of identity, usually a passport.
Receiving examination results
You will receive your results by email. This is usually 6 weeks after the examination date.
No results will be given by phone or fax.
Appealing examination results
To appeal an examination result, you must write to us within four weeks from the date of the results.
If you fail the examination
You have three years from the date of first sitting the examination and a maximum of three attempts to pass the NZDTechREX.
If you fail the examination, you must make another application, and pay a new examination fee.
If you have failed two attempts of the NZDTechREX, we strongly recommend you undertake a course of re-training before you sit it for the third and final time.